Monday, April 13, 2009

The Isshoes of Today(ok, a bad pun here)

A ghastly time to be blogging, but I feel as if I have no choice in this matter. Sandwiched between insane hours at the office and the solitude that sleep offers, writing is one of the best ways to cure a life devoid of any frissons for now. I wish I could say my life was copacetic but I wont complain about it either. Where to begin I suppose is one question that haunts me for now, with me running out of topics to write about in this blog. Since the last time I have written, I have not read too many books worth mentioning about over here. Most of them have been the read and forget types, to not wonder about.
One thing I did want to mention was the growing number of incidents of politicians having shoes thrown at them. With politicians across the world facing such an ire and the difficulty of the security to stop such a protest, it has spread like wildfire since the attack on Bush. I paused to wonder what it was about the shoe that made it the symbol, I mean why the shoe and no other apparel of clothing as such. If we go back to the sixties it was "Burn the Bra" era, then later came the afro era, the jeans era etc. Throwing the shoe is not an invention now as Nikita Khruschev had done earlier in the United Nations during the Cuban Missile Crisis against Adlai Stevenson. Anyway, we see the shoe as just another part of what we wear, some use it for style and statement(most ladies I know), and some for brand endorsement money. Anyway throwing the shoe has now come to mean throwing the basest part of what you wear(the one covered with all the dirt etc, not unlike many politicians that we know of today) as a sign of protest against all that has come to represent politics these days. I digress at any rate on an offbeat topic which no doubt you have all read about, but still I have come to wonder at this new form of protest. We can also now see how trends follow across the world. From the first fling of the shoe at Bush, to now people in villages in India flinging shoes at politicians here, we can see the power of the media at work.
As to my current reading, I have just finished Balance of Power by Richard North Patterson, and it was an interesting read on how the gun lobby has an influence in the government, at how laws are passed in favor of the gun lobby, simply due to the amounts that they spend in endorsing their candidates for the House of Representatives and the Senate which then enact laws protecting the gun companies. At any rate, I do feel pretty sleepy and I have to get up for work tomorrow morning. So long and muchas gracias for reading this blog!

7 comments:

PDM said...

Plus think how difficult would be to hurl a tie or a t-shirt and how cost ineffective it would be to shoot a wallet or a cell. :P

Unknown said...

Muchas Gracias is correct...what's with sounding like a cross between a wannabe sociologist and a book reviewer.......people should be paid to read this.....well, if any of this read between the lines, is slightly rude, apologies....and you are right, you should be begging people to read this tosh

anyway, at least you write.....whereas I comment sitting on the sidelines.....

DukeOfMayhem said...

ok, people this was written in a half hazed state, and I myself agree with the comments you have made..The writing I have done just to accomplish something a bit more worthwhile that what I do right now at any rate.. And yes, when I was writing it, I was thinking of the Pink Chaddi campaign..Was thinking of something a bit more along that line to tell the truth, someone hurling a pink chaddi though the logistics of that might be a bit hard..However, yes, I do agree what I have written was absolute crap..And as for being a sociologist vs book reviewer, well, a sociologist I am not, and neither have I claimed to be..This was something I just noticed while reading the newspaper..As for books, I like reading them, and I figured I should tell people about the good books I read and warn about the bad books as well..

Unknown said...

and you could stop explaining so much and put on the martyr act....half hazed state is right....and what's with the more worthwhile than what I am doing right now?

DukeOfMayhem said...

well, to answer that query, I meant with all the time wasted in meetings and all that, I figured this was more worthwhile than that

DukeOfMayhem said...

by meetings i meant the intellectual masturbation that goes on in such things is simply beyond me..

Unknown said...

ever thot of hurling one at few of our partners ... did ya??... u knw.. i've got dreams ever since good'ol bush got one !