Monday, August 25, 2008

Randomness!(Rather Craziness!)

Breaking Dawn! Never read this book or read at your own mental peril. Remarkable story of how I came to that conclusion. So, busily browsing on amazon.com, I saw that this book was on top of the New York Times Bestseller list. So I went ahead and bought the book in the nearby store thinking, this cant be so bad. Anyway, 900 pages later I found the truth that yes, most people have no idea of what they read. I also found out that this was the fourth book in some series. The book is basically how a human marries a vampire who is at war with the werewolves at the time. The vampires and werewolves have signed a treaty to not produce any more offspring and they adhered to that for years together. However, the human and vampire together have a werewolf baby. Actually the explanation is pretty scientific as well. Apparently vampires have 25 sets of chromosomes and werewolves have 24 sets of chromosomes. Since humans have only 23 sets, apparently the law of averages works in inter species pregnancy. So the book goes on and on for 900 pages. The least I can say about this book was that the Chinese method of torture seems a better option than this book.
Anyway, for the last one year I have been reading Star Trek series. Lot of novels written by different authors. Mainly I have been reading The Next Generation novels with Capt. Picard and Riker. The character of Picard comes across as very interesting in this series. The thinker, philosopher, historian, captain.. Really comes across as the ultimate man, the one who says the buck stops here. He is kind of a throwback to the ancient Greco-Roman days, the statues which show men as immaculate. Anyway, I would recommend these for the Sci-Fi fans. Trekkies for life.
Anyway, beyond the literary reviews, with the Olympics getting over and all, it got me thinking that even the world’s largest stage was presented to the world leaders, not a single leader of a nation used it to protest against China’s humanitarian policies. I think I used one of my earlier blogs to complain about the draconian laws of China like the One child policy, the bullet charged to the family.(one child policy- each family can have only child and any other children being born will be put to death before they crown). (Bullet charged to family- There is a famous photo of a guy standing in front of a tank at Tiananmen Square where students were protesting against Deng Xiaoping’s policies. They arrested the guy and sentenced him to death. They charged the family for the bullet they used to kill the guy) Tiananmen Square was an incident that recently occurred and the leaders then are still part of the Chinese Politburo today. The stage setting by the Chinese seemed like a repeat of the Berlin Olympics of 1936. Only this time, the entire world was watching live on TV and not a single protest was raised. I would still say congrats to the Chinese athletes for challenging American supremacy at the games. The games are competitions at the highest level challenging both body and mind, and those who persevered won. It was a magical Olympics, with Michael Phelps, Usain Bolt, USA’s Redeem Team. Lot of winners here, and I hope that London will see even better athletes who better these records.
I was watching the tv show How I met your mother the other day and in that Ted mentions his favorite go to bad time movie is Field of Dreams. That brought back old memories of where I had first seen this movie. It was in a math class, that my teacher out of her own interest had shown us the movie. At the time I dismissed it as a movie with ghosts and a guy chasing after them. I think I realized the full impact of the movie years later when I watched it again after getting through JEE. I realized that the ghosts he was chasing were members of the Chicago White Sox, who were involved in the Chicago Black Sox scandal for betting on the games and accused of throwing the World Series. These were some of the most famous players at the time and it caused a huge stench in the sport at the time. It shows that the souls of these players had not yet rested and were yet to be appeased. Very moving story, as how Kevin Costner, meets his own father who was part of the team, and meets his own father’s ghost. Kind of gives a Hamlet feel to the entire story.
Also, was just in a chat right now, thinking, does economics and its implications have anything to do with the election results? I mean, with BJP probably heading one of the largest expansion phases of Indian economics, they still lost out with their India Shining Campaign. With Bill Clinton leading the largest and longest economic growth in US, the Democrats lost to the Republicans bringing George Bush to power...(Now that is an entirely different story as well.. Basically with Florida recount, he won by 537 votes and 10,000 votes not being recounted on order of the Supreme Court, whom the Republicans have nominated 8 of them.) For more on Bush, wait for my review of The Fall of the House of Bush. Now the Labor government in England seems destined to fall.

Anyway, this duke is feeling really sleepy and I will go off to drink coffee and biscuits...So have fun, stay safe and enjoy...

1 comment:

Murali Akella said...

Dont prove time and again that you're a chuth :D

Curl up with something better. Like....say... a game?

But a nice post nonetheless.

Oh damn, before I forget my manners, Hola! Hope you're alive.